Thursday, October 21, 2010

Today's Devotion


Friends

The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.~ Proverbs 27:9, NLT



I love this verse, how many times has a friend helped us feel better about a situation, made us smile and laugh, turned a horrible day into an awesome day? When I use the term friend I mean a real friend who you confide in, who knows your secrets, who has leaned on your shoulder and you on theirs~in today's society "friend" can often mean different things and sometimes may even not be a friend at all. But today I want to talk about this verse, and how true it is and how Jesus can be that friend as well.



First I have to share a couple of stories about my friends because I'm blessed to have experienced their "heartfelt counsel" and yes it was way better than perfume, incense, diamonds, anyhing. One is a story about a mom of a fussy infant and a sleepy toddler in the highchair after eating spehgettios, and husband working late. Yes I was that mom, Evan was a newborn (I think less than 6 weeks old) and Aiden was around 18 months, I was nursing Evan while Aiden was eating dinner and Aiden fell asleep covered in his speghettios. I tried to put Evan down so I could tend to Aiden but he was not having it. I remember feeling so helpless and alone, when I remembered the blessing of a friend living just a few doors down. I picked up the phone and called my good friend and neighbor Jenny, who gladly came over to help me. She helped in more ways that just getting Aiden cleaned up, she listened, supported, and comforted me. This happend about 2 years ago and still remember what a life saver she was that evening, and I dont think I'll ever forget it. Yes I could have let Evan cry for a few minutes while I tended to Aiden, and I suppose that is what I would have done if I HAD TO, BUT I didnt have to because of God placing Jenny in my life as such a great friend. I can honestly say that if a gift of perfume or diamonds would have arrived in the mail that day it would not have compared to her support and friendship that evening.

Another friend, Tami, has been a great listener and support as Nathen has worked on the road the last few months. We have the best conversations about faith, relationships, and just life and are able to provide each other a little respite from our toddlers as they play and entertain each other. I'm looking foward to experiencing her friendship this evening over dinner. Of course Nathen is another friend who always provides great counsel and support; he is probably the best person about telling me like it is (in a good way), when I get upset about the little things he can put things in perspective and really help me realize what is important.



As I've written before I AM blessed with friends to help me through my trials on this earth. As I wrote yesterday I'm making a concerted effort to have God work in my life in a more active and intentional way, and this starts with my relationship with HIM. I can say so many times which I've prayed, and honestly felt HIS words comfort me, or been having a bad day and see a wonderful sunset as though HE put it there just for me. Yes friends on this earth are a blessing and we should be thankful and appreciative of them but also recognize the wonderful relationship we can have with our Heavenly Father. The awesome thing is we can have the best of both worlds and explore this relationship with our friends together through Bible study, sharing our faith, listening to christian music, or praying together. So today I encourage you to reach out to a friend and experience the amazing experience of a relationship with God together~I assure you it will be better than anything the world has to offer, perfume or diamonds included:)



In God's Love,

Sarah



No comments: