Thursday, September 23, 2010

Today's Devotion

tragedy and hope




"We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope~ Romans 5:3-4"



This has been a difficult week for many people in our small community as well I'm sure in other places of the world. In this week alone, parents have lost their child, children have lost their parents, and parents have received grave news about their children's health. I really felt God calling me to encourage those affected by these tragedies today, and received this verse in my email today. I think maybe I've used it before but I think God wants us to revisit it today. The first part almost appears as an oxymoron...rejoice in our sufferings~how is that even possible? Well I can speak from experience (although I have never experienced the losses people around me this week have endured) when I'm really struggling that is when I lean in on God even more, and realize that this life on Earth is only temporary and there is a better place being prepared for me. The next part of the verse is about perserverance, and I think that naturally makes sense as we accept life on Earth is temporary and that the tragedies are part of God's greater plan I think we can perservere, which leads to character and lastly hope. I know families affected by these tragedies are probably feeling numb today and the thought of feeling hopeful seems foreign and insane. And that is okay it is healthy to grieve and have those feelings, I think God made us this way for a reason. As difficult as the reality of the loss is know that God is stronger than any emotion, tragedy or loss.



As I've been reflecting on these 2 losses over the last day or so, I wonder if God chose to take these individuals when he did because he knew they would need each other, a baby needs a mom and a mom/grandmother a child/grandchild. Of course only God knows the reason he took these two people almost simulanteously.



Please join me in continued prayer for the Drago and Hill/Woodward family as they grieve the loss of their family members.



I'll close with a song that I think illustrates better what I wanted to do today:

There will be a day by Jeremy Camp

I try to hold on to this world with everything I have


But I feel the weight of what it brings, and the hurt that trys to grab


The many trials that seem to never end, His word declares this truth,


that we will enter in this rest with wonders anew






But I hold on to this hope and the promise that He brings


That there will be a place with no more suffering






(Chorus)


There will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, and no more fears


There will be a day when the burdens of this place, will be no more, we'll see Jesus face to face


But until that day, we'll hold on to you always






I know the journey seems so long


You feel you’re walking on your own


But there has never been a step


Where you’ve walked out all alone






(Chorus)






Troubled soul don’t lose your heart


Cause joy and peace he brings


And the beauty that’s in store


Outweighs the hurt of life’s sting






I can’t wait until that day where the very one I’ve lived for always will wipe away the sorrow that I’ve faced


To touch the scars that rescued me from a life of shame and misery this is why this is why I sing



In God's Love,

Sarah

No comments: