Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Today's Devotion

Be Gentle




"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.~Ephesians 4:2"

Yesterday I talked about how the words help, helpful, and helping are constants coming out of my mouth, well gentle is another one that flows pretty easily and regularly as well with two active little boys who love to show each other their love through tackles, hits, and kicks! Yes I say "Aiden or Evan (whoever is the perpetrator at the moment) be gentle to your brother" more times than I can count. I don't think my boys are unusually aggressive or rough they are just boys and need to be reminded to be gentle. Something happens in adulthood and we don't get these reminders as often as maybe we should. And yes I think we need those reminders as well. Earlier today I had a group supervision meeting and there is a lady in our group who is very negative, and my initial thought to her was to give her a hug and say "it seems like you could use a hug". But did I do that? Nope of course not, why? I'm not quite sure probably my human nature took over and it was easier to just sit there and listen to her negative comments, and defend mine instead of being gentle and surrounding her with love. No I don't know her well but I think in this verse love is referring to that kind of love you show to one another even without knowing them, like giving a smile to someone on trail just to brighten their day, making small talk and smiling to an elderly woman at the grocery store. Nope I did not offer that kind of love or gentleness to my colleague instead I guess I've opted to be patient and wait for next month when I see her and cease the opportunity to show her that love and gentleness.



So today whatever your circumstances are in a relationship(s) be gentle, patient and love one another.



In God's Love,

Sarah:)



No comments: