Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Today's Devotion


Our Forever Helper!



"Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me. ~ Psalm 54:4"



Being a parent as well as working with children and adults who work with children through my job I often say the phrase "Look..you are helpful" or "Please help me do x,y,z.." Yes this is something that we seem to say constantly throughout the day...maybe its not so frequent for people who work with adults for a living..but for me the word help is a much used 4 letter word~hopefully used more often than other not so helpful 4 letter words!



As Christians it is our responsibility and destiny to help and serve one another. But what to do when we feel helpless, and too exhausted to serve anyone? Easy, we simply call onto our Forever Helper, God. While we call onto our Lord our hearts, ears, and mind need to be open to his words and instructions. It's amazing to see in every day things how God answers prayers of help. I have a great example of how God did this for me just today. As I was picking Aiden up from preschool I was praying that it wouldn't start raining as I had packed a picnic lunch for the boys like I did last week because we had a great time playing and eating at the park while our nanny was in class. But today the sky was dark, cloudy, and no sun in sight. I was really looking forward to our time at the park today and prayed for the skies to clear, and you know what, by the time we arrived at the park the sun was out and only pretty puffy clouds were out. In the car we had a nice discussion about how God helped us by moving the clouds and having the sun come out because he loves us so much and wanted us to have fun at the park. I know its a little example of how our Eternal Helper can help us but if he can take time to listen and move some clouds away for me and my children just imagine what else he can do for you!!! So today whatever you are facing know that God is there and wants you to call onto HIM for help. So just as we are called to help others lets allow God to help us and just go to HIM for help! Here is a song just about that.



My Help comes from the Lord by The Museum

When sorrows come and hope seems gone

You're the rock I rest upon

When waters rise and I can't breathe

You're the love that rescues me



[Bridge:]

Out of the darkness I lift up my eyes

Unto the hills I feel my faith rise



[Chorus 1:]

Maker of heaven, giver of life

You are my strength my song in the night My refuge my shelter Now and forevermore My help comes from the Lord



[Verse 2:]

When I'm broken scarred by sin

Death gives way to life again

When I suffer when I doubt

In you I'm free in you I'm found



[Repeat Bridge:]

[Repeat Chorus:]



[Chorus 2:]

Maker of heaven, giver of life

You are my strength

You're my refuge

Now and forevermore...



In God's Love,

Sarah

No comments: