Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Devotion-071910

Case of the Mondays!!




Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise~Proverbs 19:20



Okay as I woke up today I was not in the best of moods, probably partly because it was Monday morning, and partly because I was unable to get my morning started alone with reading my Bible as Aiden woke up early. Then I went into to work prepared to get my day started by logging onto my computer and then remembered our server is down all day today so I had no access to any of my files, internet, email anything. I drove to the library so I could at least check my email realizing that they don't open until 9!!!! So I tried to be productive with my time waiting for them to open by getting gas and cleaning out my car. Upon arrival to the library the second time I decided I better start by reading my bible online, and went to Proverbs for some wisdom, and encouragement to shake off my "case of the Mondays". I was convicted to focus on this verse today because one of my weaknesses is taking advice and instructions from others, specifically when it comes to parenting. I always think my way is better than anyone elses. Yes I know this is something I'm not proud of and am constantly going to God in prayer about this human weekness I'm afflicted with. You see the majority of the reason I woke up grumpy this morning is that Nathen and I had a disagreement in regards to parenting, and TV watching~yes its a minor issue but my response to him allowing the boys to watch 30 minutes of TV while I went on a run last night initiated a heated discussion in which he felt I did not respect him as a parent, which could not be farther from the truth. A very minor issue of TV watching elicited a response in me that I got on my parenting pedelstal and made my partner in parenting feel inept, unvalidated and well just plain old lousy. Again something that I did not intend but it happened because I was not open to his reasoning, advice, or instruction. I think that we are not alone, I'm sure many parents have many discussions over discipline. This morning I wondered how our discussions would go if I accepted the advice and instructions of others around me as not a criticism to my own parenting skills but rather a way to gain more insight and wisdom. I try to respect other people's parenting skills and styles and do try to steer away from throwing in my opinions because I feel that is not my business, however after reading and reflecting on this verse this morning I am going to be more open to Nathen's advice and instruction regarding parenting, because we should be on the same side, and it would eliminate hurt feelings. Just think of it if we all accepted other peoples advice and instruction as a way to help not hurt what a happier society we would all live in.



In God's Love,

Sarah

No comments: