Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Yesterday's Devotion

David and Goliath!






"He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.~ Isaiah 40:29, NLT; Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves.~Psalm 96:2"



Alright I used this first verse Friday, but was unable to write a devotion so am combining my thoughts today into one devotion. As I read and reflected on this first verse Friday I couldn't help but think of David and Goliath; as we all know David was a weak, young, small and quite powerless shepherd boy who knew God was strong and powerful so offered to fight Goliath and won the fight with throwing just one stone. We all know this story but how often do we have the same faith and courage as David? If you are like me not very often. Similarly do we praise him and spread the good news that he saves as the second verse instructs us? Yea again if you are like me probably not very often. BUT I wanted to share a couple of incidences where Christians have done just this, recognized that God is more powerful than anything, and gave praises to his name.

This weekend was a busy weekend full of socializing, something that generally causes both Nathen and I a lot of anxiety, and we usually come away from social gatherings disappointed and exhausted. BUT Saturday at a Christmas party we both had a wonderful time. At one point the conversation turned to faith, and although we did not have lengthy discussion another MOM and I shared with others the importance of sharing your faith in a loving and accepting way just as Jesus loved us. Looking back I wish I would have said more about my faith but I think what I and another mom said was appreciated and we did let the others know who we worship, so I do feel proud of myself because I think 2-3 years ago I would have just sat there in silence. Another friend of mine reached out this weekend as she had to tend to some family crisis'. I was able to watch her son so she could be with her parent. As she returned to pick up her son I could tell she was emotionally exhausted but still she praised God, asking me to pray and recognizing that we serve a poweful God and everything would be okay. In a middle of a crisis she was able to praise God!!



Whatever your Goliath is today know that God will provide you the "stone" to win the fight. We all have our Goliath's in our lives, but through our relationship with God and fellowship with other Christians we do not have to fight alone!



In God's Love,

Sarah





No comments: