Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tuesday's Devotion

Eternal Rescuer NOT Enabler!




The LORD says, "I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.~Psalm 91:14-16"



If you have about 5 minutes I encourage you to read this entire chapter especially if you are going through a difficult time, there are great promises to be fulfilled for you! I chose to focus on these verses because of my day so far. Anyone who is a social worker knows the word enabler~it is that naughty word that many parents are labeled with and sometimes rightly so! However, God IS NOT, he does not allow us to continue to make the same mistakes over and over, yes he continues to love us but if we allow him he guides us to make better choices. Earlier this morning I observed a 4 year old boy who has been struggling at drop off times, and will scream, cry, and cling to his mom as she leaves. His mom I believe is a loving, and caring mom and wants the best for her son, and took the advice I gave to not sneak out but rather give him a hug and a quick goodbye reassuring him that she would pick him up. This mom did not linger and feed into the child's attempts to make her stay that would have enabled him, rather she took my advice and left. She did wait outside without the child knowing to ensure that he calmed down, just as I would have done, and have done in the past with my children. I let her know that her son was playing and calmed down within 5 minutes of her leaving. I think our relationship with God is often like what was displayed with this mom and child. We may kick and scream when we feel God is abandoning us or not listening to us...when all the while he is there watching over us. If we just allow ourselves to be somewhat vulnerable and cry out to him he will comfort and rescue us from what we are experiencing. Now of course I'm not saying this mom is God or anything just the love she displayed for her child is much like the love God has for each of us, and he is always there even when we feel he is far away. So whatever trouble you are facing today, call out to HIM, trust him, and allow HIM to rescue you! You will become stronger not weaker!



In God's Love,

Sarah:)



No comments: