Monday, November 15, 2010

Today's Devotion

Being Thankful Part 3: Parents




"Now I am coming to you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you. I don't want what you have—I want you. After all, children don't provide for their parents. Rather, parents provide for their children. I will gladly spend myself and all I have for you, even though it seems that the more I love you, the less you love me.~2 Cornithians 12:14,15"



As alluded to in my last devotion I was blessed to have loving, caring, and faithful parents. So today that is what I'm thankful for. My dad although was not a strong spiritual guide during my childhood he did provide for our family, and supported mom and all of us girls going to church every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night. Yep we went to church anytime possible because I think it was that important to my mom to raise us with God as our focus. I remember often times not living up to what other's at church wanted of me, I never completed Missionettes like Cammie and Sheldi did. I was never as active in youth group as Cammie was but never did my mom criticize me (or at least I don't remember it if she did) for these "failures". I have many childhood memories of going to church, children's church, sunday school, and yes even Missionettes. But I think the church can only be responsible for so much, the majority of my spiritual growth was caused by the seeds planted by my mom, and by her and my dad's continued prayers. Those prayers I can imagine were from anything to "help Sarah have a good day today" to "help Sarah find a Christian spouce" and I'm guessing "Help Sarah return to you" (during my rebellious years in my early 20's). I also just remembered an incredible interaction with my dad after my grandfather (his dad)passed away, when he told me the news I remember running and crying out of the house to the tire swing we had; not sure why I decided to run I guess in my 8 year old mind it made sense at the time, but what I really needed was a shoulder to cry on and a big hug in which my dad provided~I can't remember even what he said and who knows knowing my dad who is a man of few words he probably said nothing but provided comfort and support through his actions, looking back this was his dad and he was in pain too, but when his child needed him that took priority.



As the verses say parents provide and love us even if as children we are not loving them too much at the time. As a parent now I can appreciate more what my parents provided for me as a child. I remember when Aiden was about 1 both Nathen and I made a conscious effort to make our faith a priority and began looking for a church, what a blessing that church has been~but maybe we'll get to that tomorrow:) I would have never had the faith I have today if my parents didn't make it a priority by my mom taking us to church and my parents continued prayers, so for that I'm thankful. It's amazing to think of how many other blessings have come my way because of my parents.



In God's Love,

Sarah



No comments: