Monday, November 1, 2010

Today's Devotion

Fishing for People




Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” Matthew 4:19



Yesterday's sermon really ministered to both Nathen and I so thought I'd share a little bit of it with you. The sermon was preached by our church's youth pastor (Josh), our senior pastor gets a week off a month and the sermon responsibility rotates among the other pastors in the church. The sermon really challenged us to share the Good News to those who are nonbelievers through both our actions and words we share with them. He gave the gamut of excuses that we all have for not sharing our faith with others, not enough time, they'll think I'm a crazy christian, ect. All of these excuses I've used at one point or another. Its our responsibility to share not to save others...I'd never thought of it like that before, not that I think I have the power to save people but its not up to me if that person chooses to be saved or not its my job to SHARE...that takes a little of the anxiety away at least for me.



We are to fish for people. I don't know much about fishing but do know that it takes patience, and a quiet environment for the most success. Fishing to some is very boring, but to my dad it is very relaxing and rewarding even if he doesnt catch anything I think he feels at peace during this quiet time in nature. I think as Christians we are to be honest in our living accepting the rocky waters we have in our lives and be real with the people we are sharing our faith with, they may see us as fake if we present ourselves in a different light. This was something that hit me yesterday...I try so hard to be perfect, and while sitting there being preached to about sharing my faith I thought "I have so many flaws, I'm not a good example of a Christian" and just as I had that thought the point in the sermon was to show our real selves and to be real! Just as in fishing for fish fishing for people takes patience, and determination while at the same time offering unconditional love and a peaceful environment. There are so many people around us that are not believers and if we dont share with them they will be destined to spend eternity in hell and sadly we don't really care. Now we can't save them but can cast out our line so to speak and share with them. We don't need to go on a big catch (mission trips to Africa, ect) we can fish for people in our own ponds in our back yards (friends, coworkers, family, ect).



At the end of the sermon Josh asked us to imagine ourselves being on trial for murder that we were innocent of and the main witness who could prove our innocence sat on the stand and said NOTHING, what good is a silent witness? So today I encourage you to push your level of comfort and go fishing, sharing the good news. Last night we did a little fishing of our own (I share this not to brag on myself but to make myself accountable to what I encourage others to do) passing out a bible verse with candy to trick or treaters. Yes I was a little nervous, and anxious about how parents and children would think of this extra treat, but it doesnt really matter what matters is that I shared, and if one family decided to turn their life over to Jesus then it was worth the uncomfortableness. Happy Fishing!:)



In God's love,

Sarah:)



No comments: