Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Today's Devotion

Being Persecuted




"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.Matthew 5:10"



The definition of persecuted according to Websters is to pursue with harassing or oppressive treatment, esp. because of religion, race, or beliefs; harass persistently. Last week I felt like I was being persecuted, no I wasn't being prisoned for my beliefs like many before me have, but I did feel judged, harrassed and mistreated because of my religion and the way I live out my religion. As some of you may know someone put on my scripture post last week that I should check out an article on CNN about facebook boosting egos. I may have read too much into this comment but I took it as this person was saying by posting daily scriptures I was some how feeling that I was better than others and getting an ego from it. It initially really upset me, I deleted the comment and reached out for support and encouragement, and even thought about quitting my daily scripture posts. But after some reflection, encouragment, and time in God's word I've come to the conclusion that this comment was just proof that I am doing what God wants me to. We may be ridiculed, harrased, mistreated and even persecuted for our beliefs but you know what that is okay, because God is preparing for us a place in Heaven, and its our job to live righteously, and for HIM regardless of the negativity that comes from it. And what to do if we are prosecuted well I think we continue to reach out and love on those who mistreat us, that is what Jesus calls us to do as well. So whatever your prosecution is today, a sly comment from another facebooker, a coworker mocking your beliefs, or a professor refuting your beliefs know that what you have is stronger, and more powerful than any insult!!! Yes we have a loving, powerful, and Awesome God behind us all the time.



In God's Love,

Sarah

No comments: