Friday, September 3, 2010

Today's Devotion

Out of the darkness!




"Jesus said, "I am light, and I came into this world. I came so that every person that believes in me would not stay in darkness.-- John 12:46 (ERV)"



It is a beautiful day outside, cool fall type temps, sun is shinig, the birds are singing, BUT I've not been able to appreciate it because of yet another challenging day with my two blessings. I don't mean to complain I know we are blessed there are just several challenges right now with both of them and it being Friday my single mommy mind is getting ready for Nathen's return home and I'm just about on empty. So yes today I've felt a little overwhelmed, stressed, annoyed, and well just not recognizing the brightness of our day today. During naptime both boys were crying and screaming something that is pretty unusual...they usually both transition well into nap time but today was a challenge and for a while a very dark place--I kept telling myself to remain calm which I think I did for the most part, but the crying and screaming was overwhelming. And after some time (i'm not sure how long but it seemed like forever) Aiden dried his tears and said "Mommy read me my Bible". My 3 year old son knew how to get us out of the darkness of a challenging naptime. All three of us sat and rocked and read Bible story after Bible story until they both fell asleep. As I was reading about the miracles performed, parables told, and the rising of Jesus I couldn't help but feel like I had entered into a brighter part of our day, even if they hadn't fallen asleep I think I would still feel this way because of all the stories we read it just put me in a better place emotionally and spiritually. I know the "darkness" I refer to is really minor compared to what others may be faced with, addictions, negative relationships and the like; but God is an awesome and loving God and will help each of us out of the darkness if we only let HIM work in our lives...even if that work is facilitated by our children as it was today with me. So whatever you are going through today pull out your Bible and do some reading and praying you will feel lightness come into your day as well.



Have a wonderful holiday weekend,

IN God's love,

Sarah

No comments: