Sunday, September 28, 2008

Baby Evan has Arrived!!!

Evan arrived and is now a week old--its much harder to be timely with posts with a newborn and a toddler:). He was born Monday September 22 @ 9:02 pm weighing 7 lbs 5 oz, and 21 inches long. I was so thankful that he arrived 13 days early, I was beginning to be very uncomfortable--no wonder he was a lb heavier and a few inches longer than Aiden!!!! My labor and delivery story is pretty short, I had a Dr's appt at 2:30 and was having consistent contractions(but not real painful), my Dr stripped my membranes saying that in 50% of cases it brings on labor within 24-48 hours. After getting home my contractions got a bit stronger and I called Nathen saying it was the real thing. We got to the hospital at 5:30pm and was admitted at 7:30pm when they broke my water. Got into the hottub around 8:30, was again carried out by Nathen around 9 pm, and pushed for 2 minutes before Evan made his appearance. I'm so thankful that God blessed me with 2 quick labors and I was able to go with my plan of no medication and/or epidurals. Evan's first 24 hours were quite normal, but around 5 Tuesday his breathing became quite rapid and the hospital needed to observe him and administer antibiotics for possible infections. He also had quite a bit of fluid in his lungs--which they contributed to his quick delivery and him swallowing alot of fluid when I pushed him out. Evan had to stay in the nursery from Tuesday to Thursday which was really hard for me as his mommy because I wanted him in my room with me at all times; but fortuanately we could go and hold and sit with him anytime we wanted to. The diagnosis was TTN--which I can't remember what it stands for but basically its when infants have difficulty with the transition from the womb to outside the womb. Since his breathing was so rapid I was unable to nurse him until Thursday late morning, but fortuantely he remembered what to do as I nursed him Monday evening and part of Tuesday. We had his 1 week appointment this morning, and he continues to weigh 6 lbs 14 oz, what he weighed at discharge. I was a bit concerned about him not being up to his birth weight but the Dr reassured us that he was a healthy and he would be up to birth weight in a week or so. We are adjusting to having two little ones and I'm sure it will take us time but we are enjoying every minute of it. Aiden has adjusted relatively well I think for being 17 months. He gives Evan gentle touches, and appears quite concerned when Evan is upset (usually at diaper changes). Well here are a few pictures from the past week.

Evan with Nana and enjoying a gentle touch by Big Brother Aiden on our first night home from the hospital.

Evan with mommy enjoying the great outdoors.

Evan with Daddy in the hospital.

Aiden checks out his new baby brother. We were not going to have him come up immediately after delivery but since he was still awake (my mother in law was watching him) we decided to have them come up, it was very special to have both sets of parents and Aiden there with us.

Aunt Sheldi holds Evan as I catch her off guard with the camera.

2 comments:

LesleyH said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so excited for you all! But I can't believe he's been here for over a week and I had no idea, Ha ha. Here's wishing you and the whole family a happy babymoon. Love,

Lesley and Family

Rob, Trish, Olivia, Evan, & Thunder said...

Congrats!!!! As you know, I love the name Evan, so I absolutely think he's an adorable boy with an adorable name! :) I hope we get to meet your two boys sometime...what a beautiful family!!! Enjoy babybonding! :)